Thomas and Douglas Ward are today behind bars following a string of raids in the summer of 2018. A court was told that in July that year there were 14 burglaries committed across Newcastle, North Tyneside, Northumberland and Cumbria in just nine days.
Large amounts of cash, high value jewellery, family gold and a new Mercedes 4×4 were taken during the raids, with police estimating the stolen goods totalled more than £100,000.
Northumbria Police’s team of burglar hunters launched an investigation and quickly suspected the break-ins had been committed by the same gang.
They found that the burglars had bought vehicles in the days before the raids and then abandoned them after committing a string of offences.
Enquiries identified the vehicles involved and from there police were able to trace the mobile phones used by the thieves and identify them through CCTV.
That led police to a traveller site in Gosforth area of Newcastle in August 2018 where officers found a number of the vehicles believed to have been used in the raids.
Thomas, 20, of Willenhall Lane Caravan Park,
The thieves, who told police they were not related, were later charged and admitted conspiracy to commit burglary at Newcastle Crown Court.
Yesterday (Thursday) Douglas was jailed for five years and seven months while Thomas was jailed for six years and one month.