Aman, 35, Guilty of Murder and Assaulting 3 Women in east London

Aman Vyas, 35, of no fixed address was convicted on Thursday, 30 July after a trial at the Old Bailey.

Aman, 35, Guilty of Murder and Assaulting 3 Women in east London
Aman, 35, Guilty of Murder and Assaulting 3 Women in east London

He was found guilty of the assault and murder of Michelle Samaraweera and the assault of three other women.

The offences took place at locations across Walthamstow between 24 March 2009 and 30 May 2009.

In addition to being found guilty of murdering Michelle, Vyas was found guilty of one count of section 18 grievous bodily harm and six counts of assault.

He will be sentenced at Croydon Crown Court on Friday, 21 August.

The court heard how his offending began when Vyas was 24 years old. He would go out in the early hours of the morning looking for lone women to target; he covered a relatively small area of Walthamstow, centred around Markhouse Road.

The first incident happened in the early hours of Tuesday, 24 March, 2009. The victim, a woman who was then aged 59, had gone out to top up her meter key. As she walked back home she was followed by Vyas. He followed her into the communal area of her block of flats where she spotted him on the stairs. There was a brief conversation and as the woman returned to her flat Vyas pushed his way in.

The woman asked him to leave, at which point Vyas punched her repeatedly in the face. He then abused her, apologised for his actions and left.

The woman was taken to hospital where doctors noted bruising and swelling to her face and bleeding in the white of one of her eyes.

As a result of forensic examination, partial DNA was recovered. A partial profile means that not all DNA components were present to complete a full DNA profile. However, police could confirm that the person who carried out the offences was not on the DNA database.

The second attack happened on Wednesday, 22 April 2009. A 46-year-old woman, out for a walk, was approached by Vyas who said he was looking to buy drugs. She agreed to take him to somewhere to buy them. When they arrived, he pulled out a knife and forced her down an alley, telling her she had better do as he said.

When she screamed, he punched her in the face, abused her and then fled the scene. However, in 2019 a full forensic review did locate a full DNA sample that could provide a definitive link.

The third attack was on Wednesday, 29 April 2009. The victim, a 32-year-old woman, had visited a local supermarket and as she walked home, passed near to St. Saviour’s Church; this was the last thing she could remember before she woke up in hospital.

In the early hours, a member of the public heard screaming and groaning coming from the graveyard. Police were called and found the victim. She had a deep cut to her head, her clothing was awry and she was hypothermic.

She was immediately taken to hospital where her head wound

was stitched and she was found to have a fractured jaw and nose. In all, the woman was in hospital for more than a month while her injuries were treated.

It was not until June that she was able to speak formally to police about the incident. A DNA sample was obtained from a blanket paramedics had used to cover the woman and detectives were able to link this attack to the others.

The last attack culminated in the murder of Michelle Samaraweera, a 35-year-old widow who lived alone in Hainault but had a boyfriend in Walthamstow.

On Saturday, 30 May 2009 CCTV cameras recorded her buying snacks at a shop in Markhouse Road. A man, later identified as Vyas, entered the shop. Ms Samaraweera left the shop and began walking along Queens Road, where there is a small park with a playground.

At about 01:30hrs, members of the public heard screams coming from the park, however police were not called. At about 05:15hrs, a dog walker found Ms Samaraweera’s partially clothed body. Police and the London Ambulance Service were called and Ms Samaraweera was pronounced dead at the scene.

A post-mortem examination revealed that she had been strangled and subjected to a assault; once again a DNA sample was retrieved.

On 6 June 2009, officers conducted house-to-house enquiries in the local area.

The suspect had been described as being of Asian appearance/having dark skin, and aged between 30 and 40 years old.

Men who did not match the description of the suspect were eliminated, but other men were asked to provide a DNA sample to eliminate them from the inquiry. By late August 2009, 1,815 addresses had been visited and 750 DNA swabs had been taken. By early December, the number of DNA swabs had risen to more than 1,100.

Despite further arrests, extensive enquiries, an E-FIT of the suspect being circulated and repeated media appeals, no suspect was identified.

A man recognised the suspect as a former employee of his. He also recognised the distinctive jacket worn by the suspect as being one worn by the former employee. The man contacted police, identified the suspect as Vyas and explained that he left the country in July 2009, adding that a family member still worked for him. Vyas’s former boss provided police with a water bottle that the family member had drunk from. This was compared against the DNA sample of the suspect and showed a familial link between the water bottle sample and the as yet unidentified suspect’s DNA sample. The former employee was Aman Vyas.

It was established that on 2 July 2009, a month after Ms Samaraweera’s murder and just a few days after a Crimewatch appeal about the case, Vyas purchased a one-way ticket to India, leaving the same day.

A manhunt commenced to find Vyas and extradite him back to the UK. In 2011, enquiries revealed at one stage that Vyas was in New Zealand, he then made his way to Singapore and the trail went cold.

Vyas was found not guilty of one count of possession of a bladed weapon.