A Nightmare, Put Fiaz Begum, Behind Bars after 17 Years, Killed Ex-boyfriends Family in Oxford Arson

Amjad Ali Khan then, 22, had been studying for an economics degree at Oxford Brookes when he met Fiaz Begum Munshi, aged 21, in 1995, who wanted to be a lawyer or join the police.

Fiaz Begum Munshi, who was born in Sheffield, the daughter of a crane operator in the city’s steel works, Amjad Ali Khan becomes friends with Fiaz Begum Munshi, her elder Sister Riaz Begum Munshi, then aged 26 and her boyfriend Haroon Sharif aged 21 at the time of the arson.

But his studies suffered due to the intense relationship and he got involved in drugs through his friendship with Haroon Sharif.

Haroon Sharif was jailed for dealing heroin, it was then Amjad Ali Khan was told by his parents stay away from Munshi sisters and Haroon Sharif.

Fiaz Munshi was in love with Amjad and was furious with his family when they turned him against her.

In May 1997, Amjad Khan was jailed for three-and-a-half years for possession of heroin with intent to supply.

Amjad’s mother and sisters later confront the Munshis at their home telling them to stay away from their son.

In June 1997, Munshi sisters allegedly attack Amjad’s sisters Shehnaz and Nazmeen Akhtar in the Westgate Centre in Oxford.

Fiaz Begum Munshi, and her elder sister Riaz Begum Munshi had secret boyfriends and had fights in public, which led to the shame for their family, resulting the sisters were kicked out of their Freelands Road house.

They went to Letchworth to live with Haroon Sharif and his cousin Haq Nawaz before finding places at a women’s refuge in Stevenage.

During the trail Fiaz told jurors her elder brothers were abusive and controlling and beat her and her sister. She also said they were facing arranged marriages they did not want.

Amjad Khan broke his relation with Fiaz Begum Munshi which angered Fiaz Munshi and she wanted to take revenge. During this time she started dating Haq Nawaz cousin of Haroon Sharif.

Fiaz Begum Munshi with 7 others her including her new boyfriend Haq Nawaz, elder sister Riaz Munshi her boyfriend Haroon Sharif and Mohammed Nawaz brother of Haq Nawaz along with their recruits Alan Swanton and Thomas Liedl went to Amjad Khan’s house to take revenge, on August 26 after he broke off their relationship.

The Khans’ terrace house was set alight shortly after 3am on August 26, 1997 after the killers squirted petrol through the letterbox and setting it ablaze.

Amjad’s mother Mehfooz Akhtar, five of her children, and her six-year-old grandson were present at home. Amjad’s father Mohammed Khan was working a night shift at the Radcliffe Infirmary at the time.

Petrol was squirted through the letterbox of the family home and Mr Khan’s young brother, Majid, 15, and sister Anum, eight, died in the blaze.

Following the fire, Fiaz Munshi and others were arrested on suspicion of murder on 23 September 1997. Five men were handed life sentences for the murders in 1998,

Haq Nawaz, of Ridge Road, Letchworth, got 22 years, his brother Mohammed Nawaz also of same address got 17 years.

Haroon Sharif of Morrell Avenue, Oxford, got 22 years. Their recruits, Swanton, of Southern Way, Letchworth, Herts, got 15 years, Liedl, of Birdshill, Letchworth, got 15 years.

A year later in 1999 Riaz Munshi, of Manley Road, Oldham, Lancs was convicted of manslaughter was sentenced to 13 years in jail.

Due to insufficient evidence to charge Fiaz Munshi, she was released from custody and on 9 December Fiaz Munshi flew to Pakistan.

Munshi left the UK for Pakistan two days before her sister and friends were arrested and charged. She married there and had four children.

Fiaz Munshi flies to Paris in June, 2003 and returns to Pakistan in September. She returned back to the UK in 2004 and moves to Sheffield with her children. Her husband came to the country later on and they moved to Oldham together in 2012.

In September 2012, Amjad’s sister Nazmeen Akhtar has three nightmares about Fiaz Munshi. She dreamt three times about her late brother Majid having been badly burned after the fire. But she said in each of the dreams Fiaz Munshi was lurking in the background.

She said: “I had never had that kind of nightmare before.” After Nazmeen made the call to police and asks for an update, investigation was restarted in 2012.

Police discovered Munshi was back in the country but she said the family had always thought Fiaz was living in Pakistan, adding: “We always thought she was there and still there – we never had a clue she was here.”

She was eventually arrested by detectives in Oldham, Greater Manchester, where they were living on October 22, 2013, and charged with murder. She was jailed for 13 years and it took 17 years to bring Fiaz.

Children’s mother Mehfooz Khan said once justice had been done she promised herself she would visit their graves for the first time after 17 years.