Nine-month-old Nishwa was administered an injection a wrong dosage of medicine by a private hospital “Darul Sehat Hospital” which led to a deterioration in her health.
She had suffered irreparable brain damage and became paralysed on on April 14 after she was administered a drug wrongly by nursing staff today on Monday she passed.
The shocking incident resulted in a strong protest by the parents and civil society, and compelling the authorities concerned to initiate a probe into the maltreatment and criminal negligence on the part of the private hospital’s management.
Qaiser Ali took his twin 9-month-old daughters to the hospital for treatment on April 6. On the morning of April 7, one of the two children, identified as Nishwa, was allegedly administered an excessive quantity of injection after which she started to have trouble breathing.
Male nurse Agha Moeez of “Darul Sehat Hospital” was taken into custody for a wrong injection to minor girl. He accused Midwife Sobia, She had filled the injections which had no labeling and gave it to him for injection to minor girl.
Midwife Sobia has been sent to jail while other accused have also been handed over to police on a three-day remand.
Nishwa’s father, Qaiser Ali, had filed a First Information Report (FIR) at the Shahrah-e-Faisal police station stating that the hospital had accepted their mistake of an overdose.
The Sharae Faisal police have registered a case against the administration of the hospital on a complaint submitted by Nishwa’s family.
Nishwa’s father Qaiser Ali told media that he received direct threats from the high ranking police officer, who forced him to withdraw his demands for action against the hospital.
Ali further said, “The SP told me to think thoroughly before taking further action. He threatened me with severe consequences and said if you registered a First Investigation Report (FIR) you would get nothing.
Nishwa was under treatment at another private hospital on Karachi’s Stadium Road after her father said she suffered brain damage owing to staff negligence. But today she passed away.
Chief Minister of Sindh Syed Murad Ali Shah has expressed sorrow over her demise.